This summer dish is always made on Ugadi in most families. It has a tangy taste, which makes it very appealing to people of all ages.
2 small raw mangoes
2½ cups rice
2 tbsp freshly grated coconut
1 tbsp udad dal
1 tbsp chana dal
1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tbsp mustard
A pinch of hing
3 dried red chilies
½ cup groundnuts
A sprig of curry leaves
- Cook the rice and cool it.
- Deseed and grate the mangoes.
- Heat oil and add chana dal, udad dal, cumin seeds and red chili.
- Fry until light brown.
- Grind this along with mustard, coconut and hing into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a big pan and add curry leaves and groundnuts.
- When groundnuts are done, add the rice, the paste and the mangoes.
- Mix well and serve with coconut chutney.
Similar Recipes:Akki RotiTomato OmeletteLemon Rice (Chitranna)Tamarind Rice (Puliogare)Semiya (Vermicelli) UpmaPaddu (Appe)Karnataka Sambar