Serves 3Overnight Fermentation Required
Paddu, phad or appe is a common breakfast in all parts of karnataka. It could be called a cousin of idli, though a bit tastier, since it is fried and not steamed. It is cooked in a special vessel which has depressions to pour the batter in.
4 cups Bombay rava
1½ cups split black gram (white udad) dal
½ cup thick beaten rice (poha)
½ cup chopped onion
1 tsp minced ginger
- Soak rava and udad dal separately for about 4 to 6 hours.
- Grind the udad dal with poha.
- Mix in rava and let sit overnight.
- Mix in onion, ginger and salt.
- Heat the mould and pour a few drops of oil into each depression. Once hot, pour a tablespoon of the batter into each, cover and let cook on low heat for 3 minutes.
- Turn and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar
Similar Recipes:Akki RotiTomato OmeletteMavinakayi Chitranna (Mango Chitranna)Lemon Rice (Chitranna)Tamarind Rice (Puliogare)Semiya (Vermicelli) UpmaKarnataka Sambar