Tamarind rice is a very popular in Tamil Nadu and parts of Karnataka. It is spicy, sour, and typically served all by itself or accompanied by salad.
1½ cups Rice
A small ball of tamarind
1½ tsp mustard oil
A few peppercorns
½" piece of ginger, finely chopped
A pinch of mustard
¾ cup water (to soak tamarind)
2 tbsp groundnuts roasted
50 gm split black gram
50 gm split bengal gram
2 red chilies
- Cook the rice with salt. Cool slightly.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract its juice.
- Roast black gram, Bengal gram and red chilies separately and coarsely grind them together.
- Heat oil, add asafetida, mustard, peppercorns, ground nuts, ginger and curry leaves.
- When mustard splutters, add the tamarind extract, powdered splices and salt, and cook till all water thickens.
- Mix the tamarind mixture thoroughly with the rice, cover and serve hot.
Similar Recipes:Akki RotiTomato OmeletteMavinakayi Chitranna (Mango Chitranna)Lemon Rice (Chitranna)Semiya (Vermicelli) UpmaPaddu (Appe)Karnataka Sambar